11 March 2015

Painting Doodles





IDEAS IN THE MAKING Sometimes I just have to down tools and turn towards a new direction. Explore,  try something different and see where it takes me. That's definitely been me for the past three months! My work space has become cluttered with delicate paint brushes, tubes of paint, rolls of papers, notebooks spilling with doodles and more importantly a deep need to take time over life's smaller details. These mini doodle-painting have become like meditations in themselves. A practise of stilling still, absorbed and focused, wrapped in the blanket of my own creativity.  

I have been playing with the idea of using my own hand drawn and painted designs for a good few years. I have always wanted to work with the original 'painted' qualities as I find the effects somewhat random and imperfect. Giving these painted-doodles a simple charm that cannot be reproduced digitally.  Although I create digital copies, mainly so I can adapt and create larger designs I certainly don't want to transform them into digital renderings. 

So this is what I've been doing over the winter months, getting ideas out of my head and manifesting them into something tangible I can actually work with going forward.  This is the start and is very different to the painting I studied at University over 20 years ago! Then I work diligently on massive ceiling-to-floor canvases rendered with huge, abstract blocks of colour. So after nearly two decades away from my paint brushes it's wonderful to be able to return to this craft. Albeit this time it's on a much smaller scale. My floral photography offers a clear backdrop to my inspiration and with each new idea I'm slowly beginning to find my way.  These tiny paintings allow me to consider and explore a two dimensional surface, unlike my photography, the geometry of shape placement and repeat, the negative in-between spaces and pattern design are all unconsciously considered factors. 

I'm really excited to see where these little painting will take me, at this stage I have no idea what will come of them, they are just something I needed to go and do.








7 comments:

  1. So lovely! These would beautiful as gift wrapping paper and stationery.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They would make great pillow, curtain, and sheet set designs. Lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Sarah, these are simply stunning...whatever you decide to do with them, I want them! Fabric would be just lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are beautiful, I agree with Cristina, they'd make a great print and I'm sure Paperchase would be all over it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello ,
    I'm ensure that , your are a profession painter .

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great job you have done here . I appreciate your job.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your article is also excellent . A lot of thanks for this post guy .

    ReplyDelete