Pages

30 June 2014

An Artists Workshop 2014


AN ARTISTS WORKSHOP 2014 This year I had the pleasure of holding my {An Artists Workshops} from the tranquil settings that is the beautiful Westbury Arts Centre, in Milton Keynes. The building is perfect for working with natural light. The drawing room (not pictured) is set adjacent to the old 14th century side of the original building (pictured above right)   and with two full length side windows and a large 8ft bay window the light is amazing. The old farmhouse building is home to some incredibly talented artists and makes the perfect place for reflective, inspiration and creative work. This years workshops where focused around setting intention, creative expression through floral set ups, and the effective use of working with directional, reflected, defused and shadow cast light.
..............................................................................................................................


THE THREE WORKSHOPS were split into much smaller groups then the previous year. This worked really well and meant I could spend more time with each student, offering them specific insight and guidance in areas they wished to focus and develop. 

Workshops in my opinion are all about the work, I try to restrict  too much sit-in-your-seat theory and instead take a direct hands on approach to teaching. I welcome all levels of photographers, so I know that everyone who attends will have different goals and reasons for attending.  Offering smaller classes, of just five, suited me too. I got more enjoyment out of each workshop by knowing I was offering true value. Being able to spend 121 time with each individual, whilst we worked in a group environment, was incredibly rewarding.    

Everyone who attend left with a camera full of beautiful images and the inside knowledge on how to style and set up small still life installations to photography. It's certainly been a wonderful start to the year and I'll certainly be back at Westbury later to run several more workshops before the end of 2014. Don't forget to sign up to my Workshop mailing list if you wish to be contacted regarding the next available dates. 

Take a look at what the lovely talented ladies had to say. Plus a peek at their work.  


KAREN HEWETT
"Having followed Sarah’s work for a long time I was delighted to secure a place on one of her workshops. It was a fantastic opportunity to learn the techniques needed to make beautiful pictures with flowers and to take a step away from the macro shots I had always favoured.  The workshop did not disappoint!  In a very relaxed environment Sarah taught us how to shoot for a purpose, how to use the light and how to add interest to our flower photography. I was delighted with the images I captured on the day and have been inspired to keep on practising and developing my skills in this area further".



KAY YOUNG 
"After following  Sarah's beautiful work for a while now I was absolutely thrilled to get a place on her workshop in June. As a busy photographer myself and in the middle of the mad wedding season it was perfect timing to allow myself a complete day just for me. Sarah is very relaxed and easy going and really set the scene for us to get our creative juices flowing and encouraging us to find our own style while also pointing us in the right direction with styling ideas, finding the perfect light while also keeping the day calm and tranquil. I came away absolutely buzzing and am really thrilled with the images I took. This is going to my little hobby when I have the time and I will definitely be booking myself on another workshop". SEE MORE OF KAY'S WORK HERE


LOUISE BOWDITCH 
"I attended Sarah's workshop at Westbury Art Centre back in April and I can honestly say that it was one of the best workshops that I have ever attended.  Firstly we had great weather and a lovely venue; the workroom was airy and full of beautiful north facing light, but most importantly, we had a tutor who was warm, friendly and full of enthusiasm and passion. Sarah met us all on arrival and put everyone at ease straight away.  After the introductions, Sarah guided us through a series of topics, expanding the subject answering questions as we went along.  Sarah was determined to allow us as much time as possible to 'play'; and play we did! Not only did we have plenty of time to make full use of Sarah's backgrounds, flowers and props in the workroom, we were also able to go outside. Because we were only a small group of five, Sarah was able to give us plenty of individual attention and one to one tuition.  I came away from the workshop with renewed passion for photography, lots of helpful hints and tips, a new group of fellow photography friends plus the added bonus of a great selection of images.  I cannot recommend Sarah's courses highly enough, and I would love the opportunity to attend another one". SEE MORE OF LOUISE'S WORK HERE



NICOLA PEARSON 
The setting at Westbury was perfect for Sarah Gardner's Fine Art photography workshop.  It houses a mixture of artists, and seems a lovely place for photographers, artists, and creative minds to gather together and share inspiration with each other.  The lighting is beautiful in the studio, and Sarah showed us how to harness the bright sunshine and create sunfilled images full of light and shadow.  Sarah has a unique talent that is rare to see: the combination of a sunny personality with true professionalism, and artistry.  There are many workshops who say they are focussing on fine art photography but are not a patch on Sarah's talent.  There are truly not many photographers like Sarah in this world.  Everyone can learn by attending her workshops and take a little bit of what she teaches and incorporate into their own style.  SEE MORE OF NICOLA'S WORK HERE


JANE BURKINSHAW 
"I came upon Sarah Gardner's website quite by chance and immediately loved her photography and style. I could see that there was a great deal of creativity and styling in her images and these were areas I was keen to develop. As soon as the 2014 course dates were announced I booked a place. When it eventually came round, it was a glorious flaming June day, with wall to wall sunshine and the venue, Westbury Arts Centre, looked lovely and perfect for a flower photography course.

I really liked the informal nature of the workshop. With just a handful of candidates we had plenty of space to work and lots of Sarah's time and attention. I have never been confident about styling for a shoot, but with her help and practical advice on props and backgrounds I soon found my feet. I've always found photographing in sunlight very tricky and have avoided it. One of my favourite images taken that day was in sunlight! Shooting with a purpose and a concept in mind is harder than it seems and that is the main learning I took away from the day. I also have a beautiful set of images of which I'm very proud and bags of motivation to shoot more. Sarah is also a friendly, honest and above all, very experienced and talented fine art photographer and it was a real pleasure to spend the day with her."  SEE MORE OF JANE'S WORK HERE




LORNA NOYES 
I recently attended a workshop run by Sarah Gardner at Westbury Arts Centre in Milton Keynes. It was one of the most inspiring days ever. I enjoyed every single minute of the workshop and am eager to do it all over again. Sarah was friendly and warm and her enthusiasm was immediately evident. She really inspired me with all of her creativity and I couldn't wait to put all my new ideas into practice. I learnt invaluable skills that Sarah was so generous in sharing. Westbury Arts Centre was a delightful setting that was perfect for the workshop with lovely facilities and light-filled space.


RACHEAL DRAKE 
"I attended the Sarah Gardner Artists Workshop on Thursday 19 June at the Westbury Arts Centre and had a thoroughly enjoyable day where I learnt lots of new techniques from setting intention through to creative processing.  Sarah was an amazing tutor, very friendly and helpful.  It was also great to see Sarah’s approach to floral still life compositions. We were a group of four which was a nice size as not only could we bounce ideas off each other we also had lots of one to one attention from Sarah.  The Westbury Arts Centre is in an easy to reach location and the Arts Centre itself is a lovely old building.  The room for the Artists Workshop was spacious with lots of natural light".   


BECKY KERR 
"Thank you very much Sarah Gardner for a fantastic workshop last week. I found the whole day very informative and felt the input Sarah gave was invaluable. I was working out of my comfort zone and loved the challenge. It was also great to work alongside other photographers and hear about their experiences. The Art centre was a great location to work in and I loved the space we were using.  I would highly recommend this workshop and I would like to do another one in the future". SEE MORE OF BECKY'S WORK HERE










FINALLY A BIG THANK YOU... I'd like to say a personal thank you to everyone who has made these workshops a possibility and to the wonderfully talented photographers who have attended and taken the time to  write a lovely testimonial for me. Sx 



Before you go.... please sign up to my newsletter so that  I can keep in touch and send you the latest information from Sarah Gardner Photography.  CLICK HERE